Powered by Blogger.

Raising a Redhead

>> Thursday, August 16, 2012


One thing I never anticipated about being a mother was having a child with red hair. My third son was born with fair skin and, instead of being blonde like his brothers, he has red hair! Although I never anticipated it, I adore his red hair. It is so unique, and fits his little beautiful personality perfectly.

As Baby E is getting older, (he’s almost 15 months), not only is his hair getting brighter and brighter, but I’m realizing how much of a parenting shift this will require. Going outside to play without thinking twice about sunblock is a thing of the past. We had a family photoshoot a couple months back, and although it was completely overcast, Baby E got sunburned in the hour we were outside! This was when it full hit me how attentive I was going to have to be with him and his exposure to the sun. We play outside all the time, all year round. I had to do something to help avoid this in the future.
Photo from HERE

I have two favorite products that I am (almost) always with during the summer months. 1. A Sunskinz swimming suit. I got it on sale at Costco, and it has been well worth the money. It even has a hood so I can cover up his head when the sun gets really hot. And, it helps that he's stinkin adorable in it.


Product #2 that is a must-have is Supergoop. (Rad name, right?) It's free of parabens, fragrance, and oxybenzones. It uses completely natural and skin-compatible ingredients, meaning not only is it safe for my baby, it's safe for the entire family, on a regular basis! I don't have to be grossed out by sticking the chemical stuff on faces and around eyes. Nice!

It is definitely an adjustment having to accommodate Baby E’s specific needs, but I’m grateful for the opportunity that I have to learn what I can do to make his life more comfortable. I feel in doing so, I am getting more educated on products like sunblock, and am able to utilize that knowledge with all of my children. I’m grateful for modern advances like UV protective clothing and chemical free sunblock that make it possible to not have to alter our outdoor-loving lifestyle.


Pin It

3 comments:

Alicia August 16, 2012 at 9:25 PM  

This is great! I have a fair child as well (who burns through umbrellas!) and we take many of these precautions as well. One thing that surprised me was finding out that my daughter had vitamin D deficiency. In order to get vitamin D from the sun, you have to expose them without sunscreen and preferably with as much skin showing as possible (crazy for someone with skin like hers!). We now go out in the morning and/or evening to spend some time in the sun. Something to think about!

Post a Comment

this blog designed by:

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP